Jobs & Internships
The Staff Accountant at MoMA PS1 is responsible for executing accounting responsibilities, implementing financial and administrative policies and procedures, and working collaboratively with staff at both MoMA PS1 staff and The Museum of Modern Art. The Staff Accountant performs accounting, accounts payable/receivable, banking/cash management, and other administrative duties, in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with overlapping and changing priorities and deadlines. Ability to work Saturdays during the summer months.
Status: Part-time (two regular shifts per week, based on exhibition needs), Non-exempt
Reports to: Supervising Coordinator of Visitor Engagement
Gallery Associates serve as MoMA PS1’s representatives in the exhibition spaces and facilitate a positive relationship between art, audience, and the museum through compliance with the “Visitor Engagement Policies and Procedures” document. Gallery Associates are expected to provide a high level of customer service and develop a strong familiarity with MoMA PS1 history, relevant past exhibitions, long-term installations, programs, and current exhibitions.
Gallery Associates report to Supervising Coordinator of Visitor Engagement, and additionally take direction from Assistant Manager of Visitor Engagement and Senior Manager of Visitor Engagement. They also occasionally take direction from Visitor Engagement Associates and Senior Visitor Engagement Associates.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor Degree or current students preferred, or equivalent experience.
Minimum of 2 years’ experience in visitor service, hospitality, and/or sales, or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, including ability to present information effectively in one-on-one and group settings and facilitate positive dialogue with audience.
- Strong engagement with and knowledge of contemporary artistic practices and/or museums, with interest in critical discourse.
- Strong observation and awareness abilities, including noticing unusual circumstances, situations requiring attention, and generally being aware of one’s surroundings.
- Demonstrated on-the-spot problem-solving and decision-making ability.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively and collegially as part of larger team and in service of team and institutional goals.
- Ability to work Holidays and Weekends as required by exhibitions and special events.
MoMA PS1 prioritizes employee safety and promotes safe work practices, which are the responsibility of all employees. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; talk; or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, safety is always a priority. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to occasionally loud.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include “Gallery Associate” in the subject line.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at MoMA PS1.
MoMA PS1 is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
MoMA PS1 Volunteers Warm Up
MoMA PS1 seeks hard-working and energetic volunteers for its annual summer music series Warm Up. The ideal applicant will be punctual, friendly, articulate, extremely outgoing, and comfortable with large crowds. While much of each shift will be spent outdoors with long periods of standing or in a stationary position, volunteers will often be asked to move throughout the site while transporting supplies and equipment that may weigh an upwards of 25 lbs. A willingness to multitask and think creatively to address a variety of challenges in a fast-paced environment is essential to success in this position.
Warm Up volunteers will assist with various aspects of the event including:
- Providing visitors with details regarding MoMA PS1, The Young Architects Program, and Warm Up
- Front-of-house support: line management, ID verification, and assistance with guest list
- Staffing the checkroom
Position Details: 10 weeks, Saturdays only from July 1st - September 2nd.
Shifts are 4.5 hours long. Shift 1 runs from 11:45-4:30pm and Shift 2 from 4:30-9:00pm.
Volunteer Benefits Include:
Free admission ticket to Warm Up, free admission to the Museum of Modern Art and MoMA PS1, free admission to many other NYC cultural institutions, a 50% discount at the MoMA store on MoMA items and a 40% discount on non-MoMA produced items.
- Volunteers must arrive at their shifts on time and wear the provided MoMA PS1 Warm Up t-shirt. Shorts and sneakers in good repair are acceptable.
- A commitment of at least five events is required.
This is an unpaid position.
How to apply:
Please send one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, June 23rd, containing the following: (1) resumé with two references; and (2) answers to the following questions:
1. Why do you want to volunteer at MoMA PS1 and what do you hope to gain from this experience?
2. Have you volunteered at Warm Up in the past? If yes, what year(s)?
3. Do you have any prior volunteer and/or relevant experience, specifically at events? Please describe.
4. What qualities do you possess that make you an ideal volunteer for Warm Up? What would you bring to the Warm Up team?
MoMA PS1 offers hands-on internships for college students and recent graduates in several of its departments. Our internship program provides the opportunity to learn about the operations of a non-profit art institution and to work alongside some of the world's most exciting contemporary artists and curators.
MoMA PS1 is also a host for Studio in a School's Summer Arts Intern Program. Visit their website for more information.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at MoMA PS1. MoMA PS1 is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment.